Friday, April 07, 2006

My view of blogging and myspace

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7668788/

I have a love hate relationship with myspace. I'm addicted to it. I like doing surveys, and seeing my friends newest pics, but obviously there is danger to that. I found this article about myspace and other blogging sites on the web and it says that about half of the blogs out there are done by teenagers. I think blogging is a great thing, but only if the author knows what information they should and shouldn't give about themselves. Names, addresses, schools... all this information really shouldn't be posted where anyone can see it. Like for me, if I'm writing to a friend that I know in person I'll use my actual name, but otherwise if I'm posting something I'll use my stage name KillerMay. Or if I'm filling out a survey and it askes where you live or something like that, I either won't put anything, or I'll put "cloud town."

However, many of the people who are posting blogs don't realize the dangers of posting information about yourself, mainly because most of them are teenagers, many under 15 years old. Pretty much all parents give the lecture to their kids to not talk to strangers, but most kids only relate that to real life. They figure that there's no harm in talking to someone on the internet because they can't actually hurt them, but if they talk to this person, giving them more and more information little bits at a time, that person can easily find them. There are some sick people out there, and they'll take full advantage of the information they're given. Parents should be sure it's clear to their kids that the "don't talk to strangers," talk doesn't only apply to people they meet in real life, it also applys to those they meet on the internet.

1 Comments:

Blogger System said...

I totally agree, this should be looked upon more seriously. Parents should be more cautious about their child activity in order to stop Internet crime. There is a huge space in the Internet, I think its scary and same time its interesting.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home